Welcome to In Case You Missed It, a weekly article that captures the biggest storylines from all across the sports world. Tune in each week to see what you might have missed in the previous seven days.
We find ourselves in the first full week of the year. Golf and Hockey are starting up, we’ve seen some dominant performances in NBA and the NCAAW and NCAAM have some undefeated teams, for now.
NFL (Playoff bound)
The Wild Card weekend starts this week and has an additional team added to the AFC and NFC this year. Here are the playoff teams and times of the games:
NFC (Green Bay Packers has a bye)
New Orleans Saints (2nd seed) vs. Chicago Bears (7)
4:40pm ET Sunday January 10th
Seattle Seahawks (3) vs. Los Angeles Rams (6)
4:40pm Saturday January 9th
Washington Football Team (4) vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5)
8:15pm Saturday January 9th
AFC (Kansas City Chiefs have a Bye)
Buffalo Bills (2) vs. Indianapolis Colts (7)
1:05pm Saturday January 9th
Pittsburgh Steelers (3) vs. Cleveland Browns (6)
8:15pm Sunday January 10th
Tennessee Titans (4) vs. Baltimore Ravens (5)
1:05pm Sunday January 10th
Aaron Rodgers and Josh Allen carried teams at quarterback, Davante Adams took top rank among wide receiver, Alvin Kamara at running back and Travis Kelce was the top tight end by a country mile.
NHL (staring up 2021 season)
- Training Camp have begun (no preseason) as the season will be underway Wednesday January 13th
- Refresher for how the 2021 NHL season will play out: 56 game season playing ONLY in division opponents. The playoffs will be 16 teams in best of seven format. Top four from each division will make the playoffs in an INTRA-DIVISIONAL first round.
- Curious about who went where in the offseason? Check out the SB Nation Free Agency tracker:
NBA (well underway)
- The NBA enters it’s third week of the 2021 season. James Harden is scoring an insane 37 points per game while Stephen Curry is second with 32. Curry scored 62 points becoming the 27th NBA Player to do so.
- Kevin Durant is out seven days due to COVID-19.
PGA (2020-2021 Season)
Golf begins this week as the Sentry Tournament of Champions begins the Hawaii circuit. The season began in November but some golfers sit out the fall circuit and start when Hawaii begins. Tony Finau, Patrick Rodgers and Jordan Spieth are a few that some are speculating could be in for a solid season.
NCAAW (a few unbeatens still out there)
- The Oregon Ducks fell outside the top 10 in the AP poll for the first time in 64 consecutive appearances.
- Stanford, Louisville, NC State and UConn hold the top four spots (all undefeated).
NCAAM (programs working around COVID-19 concerns)
- Gonzaga and Baylor hold the top two spots in the rankings with 10-0 and 9-0 records.
- Coach Krzyzewski remains in quarantine after a member of the family tested positive for COVID-19.