So much to watch this weekend and a fair amount rain delayed to today. Football, Soccer, Tennis, Baseball just to name a few things.
Tennis (US Open)
· Serena Williams lost to #20 seed Naomi Osaka. It was the first major win by a Japanese born player. This game will best be known for what occurred between Serena Williams and chair Carlos Ramos. The chair gave Serena a warning from her coach providing coaching signals from the stands. Serena would later be assessed a point for breaking her racket and eventually a full game for repeated aggressive interactions with the chair. This certainly opens the question of whether or not ATP wants to review the rule that coaches cannot provide guidance from the stands.
'Men are badgering the umpire on the changeovers and nothing happens.'— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) September 10, 2018
Serena Williams' claims of sexism in the US Open final have been backed by the governing body of women's tennis.
· Novak Djokovic beat Juan Martin Del Potro in three sets to give him 14 total grand slam victories (tied at 3rd overall with Pete Sampras). It had been nine years since Del Potro was last in a grand slam finals.
NFL (Week 1)
· Ryan Fitzpatrick had a career game (417 yards; 4 TDs) against New Orleans, Tyreek Hill went off for 169 receiving yards and 2 TDs,m Alvin Kamara had 112 receiving yards and 1 reception TD to go with 29 rushing yards and 2 TDs.
Alvin Kamara owners right now pic.twitter.com/CZE6oZ3Y9a— Fantasy Football Live (@ffootballLIVE) September 9, 2018
· Cleveland Browns forced 6 Turnovers in a tie to the Pittsburgh Steelers, Aaron Rodgers got hurt but came back into the game in the 2nd half and Tennessee vs. Miami was delayed due to rain finished at 7 hours and 8 minutes, the longest NFL game ever.
· Patrick Mahommes started off in a fantastic fashion leading the Kansas City Chiefs to a 1-0 start to the season. He finished the day with 256 yards and four touchdowns at the Chiefs beat the Chargers. James Connor filled in admirable for LeVeon Bell rushing for 135 yards and 2 touchdowns. Joe Flacco proved that the Lamar Jackson hype will have to wait as he trounced the Bills 47-3
Patrick Mahomes and Alex Smith Passing Charts. Different ways to win games. pic.twitter.com/UCTjE14D5G— Joey (@NFLDraftJoey) September 10, 2018
MLB (88% of the way into the season)
· Alex Bregman has 12 runs, 18 RBI’s and a .458 Avg over the last two weeks, Jacob Junis has 2 wins and a 1.13 ERA over his last 16 IP.
Alex Bregman is on absolute right now!— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) September 8, 2018
Make it 30 HR on the season, and another solid dugout celebration pic.twitter.com/smjtqkr3ES
Also this guy has been great since his call up
PGA – (BMW Championship)
· We have about half of the remaining field yet to finish the fourth round after a pletheora or rain delayed play yesterday. Play started at 8am this morning with Justin Rose in the lead one stroke ahead of Rory McIlroy, Xander Schauffele and two strokes up on Tommy Fleetwood and Rickie Fowler.
WNBA (WNBA Finals)
· Breanna Stewart scored 25 points to help Seattle take a 2-0 lead over the Washington Mystics. The Seattle Storm have not won a Championship since 2010 when they beat the Atlanta Dream. The Washington Mystics have never won a championship nor had they made it to a finals prior to this year.
Seattle Storm is the most successful franchise in Seattle pro sports history. Don't care if they are discounted by others because WNBA isn't one of the "Big Four." Sue Bird belongs on Seattle pro sports Mount Rushmore. #storm— Travis Pittman (@TPittmanPNW) September 5, 2018
NASCAR – (Big Machine Vodka 400 race is tonight )
· Inclement weather pushed back the start to tonight.
· Kyle Busch starts in lead position with Kevin Harvick in 2nd.
· EPL (Week 4)
o Sadio Mane (Liverpool) and Aleksander Mitrovic (Fulham) lead the league in goals with four. Jose Holebas (Watford) and Benjamin Mendy (Manchester City) lead the league in assists with four.
o Liverpool leads the league with 3 clean sheets, West Ham United leads in yellow cards (13) and Everton leads in red cards (2).
BREAKING: Sadio Mane is the PFA Fans’ Player of the Month ⚡️ pic.twitter.com/NA8ILaV9WR— B/R Football (@brfootball) September 3, 2018
· NWSL – (regular season is done)
o North Carolina Courage have the best regular season record in NWSL history
o Washington Spirit goalkeeper Aubrey Bledsoe set a single season save record with 108 saves (previously Alyssa Naeher had 106 in 2014)
· MLS – the season is about 82% done.
o DC United, New England Revolution, Montreal Impact fighting for the final playoff spot in the East while LA Galaxy, Vancouver Whitecaps, Seattle Sounders FC battling in the West.
o Atlanta finally lost last week to DC United, while NYC tied DC United this past Saturday and Sporting Kansas City and Portland Timbers beat Orlando and Colorado.
· Shawn Porter won the WBC world title by unanimous decision over Danny Garcia
DID YOU KNOW?— World Boxing Wall (@WorldBoxingWall) September 8, 2018
147lb fighter Shawn Porter fought undisputed Cruiserweight king Alexander Usyk in the amateurs at Middleweight.
· Tyron Woodly kept the Welterweight belt with a win over Darren Till.
· Santa Clara (#12) upset North Carolina (#2) in women’s soccer
· No. 1 and 2. Minnesota and Wisconsin both upset in women’s volleyball during the Big Ten/Pac 12 challenge.
· College Football: Kanasas stopped the second longest road losing streak (46) with a win over Central Michigan; #3 Georgia toppled #24 USC 41-17; FAU’s Chris Robison with 471 passing yards and 3 TDs, Mississippi’s Jordan Ta’amu with 448 yards and 5 touchdowns. Oregon State’s Jermer Jefferson with 238 rushing yards and 4 TDs, Wisconsins’s Jonathan Taylor with 253 yards and 3 TDs. Colorado Laviska Shenault with 177 receiving yards and 1 TD.