Race: WISE Power 400
Date: February 27th
Venue: Auto Club Speedway
2021 Winner: Alex Bowman (2:37:07)
Broadcast: Fox (Mike Joy, Clint Bowyer, Matt Kenseth)
Course: Auto Club Speedway
This low banked two mile “D-Shaped” asphalt oval was built in 1996 with the light fixtures added in 2004. Control serves better than speed on this track given the embankments, environment, and layout. It holds 68,000 seats and a total Capacity of 122,000. It features 14 degree turns, an 11 degree front stretch and a 3 degree backstretch. This is the only MENCS race featured here.
1) Brad Keslowski (1st pick this year). This race was not held at Auto Club last year, but looking at the years prior to that Brad was a top 5 finisher here every year from 2017-2020. Add to that he was racing quite well (albeit very aggressive) last week at Daytona and he should be your favorite here.
2) Kyle Busch (1st pick this year). Kyle was helping Bubba along for many laps last week and Bubba was just feet from a Daytona victory at the end. Kyle was among the top 10 each year here from 2017-2020.
High Risk/High Reward
3) Erik Jones (1st pick this year). Erik finished 12th here as a rookie in 2017, he would go on to finish in the top 10 in 2018 and 2020 here as he became one of the better Auto Club racers. Last week wasn’t the best opener for him with a 29th place finish at Daytona.
4) Kurt Busch (1st pick this year). Kurt finished 19th last week but had some top 10 moments of good racing. As for Auto Club, he was 24th here in 2017, improved to 14th in 2018, 6th in 2019, and 3rd the last time they were here in 2020 which trends well for his 2022 results.
5) Aric Almirola (1st pick this year). Aric had yet another electric Daytona finishing 5th last week. He’s been good at California where he was among the top 10 in 2019 and 2020.
Fun Fact: Ford and Chevrolet have both tied for 10 wins here
Favorites: Average finish 23rd (56th percentile)
High Risk/Reward: Average finish 7th place (18th percentile)
Dark Horse: Average finish 23rd place (58th percentile)