After what seemed like years of waiting, we finally get an opportunity to have NFL football back in our lives this week. I might be sporting a set of shoulder pads and wearing a helmet on Thursday’s season opener between the Dallas Cowboys and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Okay, maybe I won’t go that far, but it will be thrilling to be able to spend the entire weekend watching football once again.
A week ago, I shared my updated WR rankings for the 2021 season, altering a few spots for certain players. Seeing that nothing has really occurred that would change my thinking on players between then and now, there aren’t any notable updates to my rankings. Within this article — that I will be updating on a weekly basis this season — I will discuss certain players that may be dealing with injuries or a change of role recently. Also, I do want to point out that you can follow me on Twitter @skyler_carlin if you have any fantasy football questions, or if you simply have any questions about life itself.
WR Rankings Week 1
|NAME||PREVIOUS RANK||NEW RANK|
|NAME||PREVIOUS RANK||NEW RANK|
|Odell Beckham Jr.||28||35|
|Marvin Jones Jr.||46||41|
|Michael Pittman Jr.||51||42|
|Amon-Ra St. Brown||78||71|
|Terrace Marshall Jr.||82||74|
- CeeDee Lamb had a recent bout with COVID-19 that landed him on the COVID-19 reserve list for the Cowboys. The second-year wideout was activated to the roster late last week and should be a full-go versus the Buccaneers on Thursday. Lamb is on track for a stellar season with Dak Prescott back under center in 2021.
- Julio Jones has been dealing with what has been described as a minor knee injury throughout the offseason since being acquired by the Tennessee Titans. The All-Pro wide receiver was a full participant in practice on Monday, which is a good sign for his status in Week 1. Jones has a favorable matchup versus the Arizona Cardinals to kick off the season.
- The San Francisco 49ers have been cautious with Brandon Aiyuk recently as he’s dealt with a hamstring injury. For those that remember, it was a hamstring ailment that sidelined Aiyuk for Week 1 of his rookie season in 2020. The good news is that Aiyuk has returned to practice and is slated to be ready for Sunday’s contest versus the Detroit Lions.
- Both D.J. Chark and Marvin Jones Jr. have been battling injuries for the Jacksonville Jaguars in recent weeks. Chark is reportedly 100 percent healthy after undergoing finger surgery and Jones is expected to be ready for Week 1 following a shoulder injury. There’s a chance that Chark and Jones produce noteworthy performances against the Houston Texans on Sunday.
- Jamison Crowder was another wide receiver to test positive for COVID-19 recently. His status for Sunday’s bout with the Carolina Panthers is unknown at this point. However, Crowder’s case was an isolated one and the New York Jets are hopeful that he’ll be available in Week 1.
WRs in best spots to improve their rankings in Week 1
- D.J. Chark, Laviska Shenault, Marvin Jones Jr. at Houston Texans
- A.J. Brown, Julio Jones vs. Arizona Cardinals
- DeAndre Hopkins, Christian Kirk, Rondale Moore at Tennessee Titans
- Michael Pittman Jr., Parris Campbell vs. Seattle Seahawks
- Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp vs. Chicago Bears