A phenomenal season from the WNBA, upcoming finals in the Women’s Soccer League, a crazy set of stats in week 2 of the NFL season are just a few things that highlighted this past week.
WNBA (WNBA Season Recap)
· Breanna Stewart takes home regular season MVP and WNBA Finals MVP (the sixth player in WNBA history to do so: Sylvia Fowles, Lauren Jackson, Diana Taurasi, Lisa Leslie and Cynthia Cooper) in her third season in the WNBA.
· The first final that did not feature either Minnesota Lynx, Los Angeles Sparks or Phoenix Mercury since Seattle Storm won in 2010.
· The Washington Mystics made their first ever Finals appearance
· Courtney Vandersloot had a triple double (7th WNBA Player to do so)
· Most points in a game: Liz Cambage (53) vs. New York
· 2nd Most three points in a season: Diana Taurasi with (106), she holds the record with 121 in 2006.
· Most rebounds in a season: Sylvia Fowles (404)
· Most assists in a season: Courtney Vandersloot (258)
What a season we just saw.https://t.co/CwKysSt8En— ESPN Women's Hoops (@ESPN_WomenHoop) September 17, 2018
NFL (Week 2)
· Ryan Fitzpatrick might be legitimate (402 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT), Ben Roethlisberger was either going to be out with injury or put up 452 yards and 3 TDs, Blake Bortles lead the Jaguars to a win past the Patriots with a 377 yard, 4 TD, 1 Int effort. Patrick Mahomes ONLY threw for 326 yards and 6 TOUCHDOWNS.
· Your top three Rushing leaders in yards: Matt Breida (138), Tevin Coleman (107), Phillip Lindsay (107) because we all saw that one coming 2 weeks into the NFL season right?
· Your top 2 wide receivers in terms of yards Brandin Cooks (159) and Jesse James (138).
· The Cardinals fail to put up a point vs the Rams, the Cleveland Browns find new ways to lose, Buffalo Bills Vonate Davis quits/retires at halftime of their game, we had a 2nd consecutive week with a tie (had not had 3 ties in a season since they went to OT in 1974. The Broncos overcame a 12 point deficit to beat the Raiders 20-19
Patrick Mahomes put up Madden numbers today pic.twitter.com/oO5jVcXSGS— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) September 16, 2018
MLB (93% of the way into the season)
· Oakland, LAA and Pittsburgh have all won at least 4 straight while Baltimore, CWS, San Francisco and Texas Rangers have lost at least 4 straight. The Giants are on a 8 game losing streak.
· Shohei Ohtani with 12 runs, 12 RBI’s and 3 SB batting .364 over the last two weeks. Justin Verlander with 3 wins, 1.71 ERA and a 0.76 WHIP over his last 21 IP.
· Justus Sheffield is joining the bigs!
Justin Verlander AL ranks in 2018— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) September 17, 2018
202 innings 1st
32 starts 1st
24 Quality starts 1st
269 strikeouts 1st
0.93 WHIP 2nd
2.67 ERA 4th
NASCAR – (South Point 400)
· Brad Keslowski takes a third consecutive win and a commanding start to the playoffs
· Kyle Larson and Martin Truex Jr take 2ndand 3rd and I had all three in my picks this week! Ryan Blaney (5th) and Aric Almora (6th) topped out my other two. That’s right, five picks in the top six results!!
· EPL (Week 5)
o Clean sheets by Crystal Palace, Manchester City, Wolverhampton Wolves,
o Manchester United’s Paul Pogba is hurt, Liverpool and Chelsea are 5-0, Huddersfield Town and Newcastle United remains winless and Watford finally lost (to Manchester United)
· NWSL – (regular season is done)
o Semi Finals result: Portland Thorns beat the Seattle Reign FC 2-1.
o Semi Finals Matchup: North Carolina Courage vs. Chicago Red Stars. Regular season results: North Carolina Courage – 1 win; 2 ties.
o The Portland Thorns FC won the Play-offs last year (beating the North Carolina Courage).
The Portland Thorns are going back to the NWSL final https://t.co/p4tnQaudug— Planet Fútbol (@si_soccer) September 17, 2018
· MLS – the season is about 85% done.
o Zlatan Ibrahimovic scores his 500thcareer goal
o Atlanta beat Colorado 3-0, Spoting Kansas City beat Orlando 1-0, Seattle beat Vancouver 2-1 and New York Red Bulls tied 3-3 behind a Bradley Wright-Phillips Hat Trick
Only Zlatan could out-Zlatan himself to hit 500 ⚽ pic.twitter.com/JIcDKZ5Qs7— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) September 17, 2018
· Canelo Alvarez wins by decision over Gennady Golovkin
· Floyd Mayweather announced a rematch vs. Conor McGregor
Man, @Canelo is a BAD MAN!— FOX Sports (@FOXSports) September 16, 2018
Canelo Alvarez defeats Gennady Golovkin to become the new WBA/WBC Middleweight Champ. pic.twitter.com/0qI0kpUrHZ
UFC (Russia’s First Fights – UFC Fight Night: Moscow)
· Mark Hunt wins by submission over Aleksei Oleinik in the first round.
· A year and a half in the motion, Russia’s minister of sport Vitaly Mutko worked through WME-IMG (now Endeavor) to get this in motion amidst a tumultuous political landscape with sanctions occurring between the two countries.
Brought it from the first bout.— UFC (@ufc) September 15, 2018
Thank you, #UFCMoscow! pic.twitter.com/5ge4df8j3e
· No 2. Stanford beats No. 3 Texas in womens volleyball.
· No 5. Denver beats No. 22 San Francisco in mens soccer, Cal State Northridge beats No 11 UCLA.
· College Football: Ohio State beat TCU, BYU upset Wisconsin, LSU upset Auburn with a last minute field goal, Oklahoma State upset Boise State in a commanding fashion and Texas beat USC to avenge last year’s 3 point loss.
Scott Frost, Chip Kelly & Kevin Sumlin have started 0-6 and Herm Edwards has started 2-0. Just like we all expected.— Clay Travis (@ClayTravis) September 15, 2018