The rules I have implemented for myself are:
1.I will not pick a driver more than 10 times this season.
2.Due to #1 these are “Power Rankings” (in quotations) I’m looking for value here.
My general format for my power rankings:
•Top 2 picks will generally be the favorites, the ones who should be top 5 or top 10 finishes.
• #3 and #4 will be your riskier picks, could be top 5 or bottom 15.
• Pick #5 is the dark horse.
Race: Bass pro Shops NRA Night Race
Date: August 19th
Venue: Bristol Motor Speedway
2017 Winner: Kyle Busch (2:46:37)
Broadcast: NBSCN (Dale Earnhardt Jr., Steve Letarte, Jeff Burton)
Most Wins: Darrell Waltrip (7) Active Drivers: Kyle Busch (3)
Bristol Motor Speedway constructed in 1960, the Last Great Colosseum has its roots in authentic racing. This all concrete surfaced oval track features turns at 26-30 degrees with straightaways at 6-10 degrees. It’s short at just over half a mile (0.533) and be prepared for some bumping to occur here. This makes it both amazing to watch and tough to predict as many racers get knocked out mid-race. The sound that emits from this course is amazing.
1) Kyle Larson (6th selection this year). Doubling down after a disappointing finish in Michigan. He has top six finishes each of the last three races at Bristol.
2) Clint Bowyer (5th selection this year). He has finished in the top 10 each of the last five races at Bristol. Add to that seven finishes inside the top 12 over his last nine races.
High Risk/High Reward
3) Daniel Suarez (3rd selection this year). His last three races at Bristol went from 18th to 11th and 11th. That is ok but his recent track record this season includes a 2nd, 4th and 11th place in his last three races.
4) Jimmie Johnson (4th selection this year). His last five years here on average – 19th (2014), 2nd (2015), 23rd (2016), 1st (2017) and earlier this year he finished 3rd. Much like Ricky, it’s been 10 races since he had a top 10 finish.
5) Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (3rd selection this year). Surprisingly, over the last five years, Ricky has come out one of the best Drivers. He has an average 7thplace finish having posted top 10 on average every year except 2016. He finished 4th here earlier this year. Downside – it’s been 14 races since he had a top 10 finish.
Favorites: avg finish 10.9 (29th percentile)
High Risk/Reward: avg finish 17th place (45th percentile)
Dark Horse: avg finish 19th place (51st percentile)