The rules I have implemented for myself are:
1.I will not pick a driver more than 10 times this season.
2.Due to #1 these are “Power Rankings” (in quotations) I’m looking for value here.
My general format for my power rankings:
•Top 2 picks will generally be the favorites, the ones who should be top 5 or top 10 finishes.
• #3 and #4 will be your riskier picks, could be top 5 or bottom 15.
• Pick #5 is the dark horse.
Race: O’Reilly Auto Parts 500
Date: April 8th
Venue: Texas Motor Speedway
2017 Winner: Jimmie Johnson (3:24:18)
Broadcast: Fox (Darrel Waltrip & Jeff Gordon)
Course: Texas Motor Speedway. Located in Fort Worth, Texas, this 1.5 mile quad-oval asphalt track was built and opened in 1996. It features this race as well as one playoff race and has different banked turns on 1 and 2 (20 degrees) vs. 3 and 4 (24 degrees). Jimmie Johnson holds the most wins here (6).
1) Jimmie Johnson (2nd selection this year). Not only did he win last year but he was 4th here in 2016 and he won here in 2015. He’s not having the best 2018 season but clearly he’s more than comfortable at excelling in Texas.
2) Joey Logano (2nd selection this year). He was 3rd at Texas Motor Speedway last year, he was 3rdat Texas Motor Speedway in 2016 and in 2015, he was….4th. This season he only has one finish outside the top 10.
3) Clint Bowyer ( 11th here last year and 38th after he did not finish in 2016. He’s not the flashy name but he’s top 10 in points right now and fresh off a win at Martinsville (that I picked!) so in essence I’m doubling down.
On a scale of 0-5, how would you rate Clint Bowyer's Martinsville burnout? pic.twitter.com/EMsshyXTqx— FOX: NASCAR (@NASCARONFOX) March 27, 2018
4) Chase Elliott (1st selection this year). I was surprised to see he’s landed inside the top 10 in just as many races as he’s finished above 30 this season. He is good at Texas though where he has top 10 finishes each of the last two seasons.
5) Trevor Bayne (2nd selection this year). Since Daytona he has not finished inside the top 20 and that ends this week where he has finished 15th or better the last two years. I don’t think he’s a top 5 finish but he could crack the top ten.
Favorites: Avg Finish 9th (25th percentile)
High Risk/High Reward 16th (44th percentile)
Dark Horse: 18th (49th percentile)