Well, as goes Yahoo’s Golf so goes Auto Racing. It is no longer and I am left finding a new fantasy venue.
Since the Yahoo format is no more, I will be adapting this year to a Power Ranking system. The rule I have implemented for myself are:
- I will not pick a driver more than 10 times this season.
- Due to #1 these are “Power Rankings” (in quotations) such that I’m not going to be picking Martin Truex Jr. and Kyle Busch every week. I’m looking for value here.
My general format for my power rankings:
- Top 2 picks will generally be the favorites, the ones who should be top 5 or top 10 finishes.
- #3 and #4 will be your riskier picks, could be top 5 or bottom 15.
- Pick #5 is the dark horse.
Race: Folds of Honor Quiktrip 500
Date: February 25th
Venue: Atlanta Motor Speedway
2017 Winner: Martin Truex Jr. (3 hours; 29 minutes)
Course: Atlanta Motor Speedway. Opened in 1960, this 1.54 mile quad-oval track is among the fastest tracks on the NASCAR circuit. It underwent a few renovations including nearly rebuilding the track in 1997 and switching the frontstretch with the backstretch. It has not been paved in 20 years (due to be paved after this weekend’s race) which means it will be fast racing with some dirt coming up on the track. There are grooves along the track and familiarity is almost as important as success in higher speed tracks.
1) Brad Keselowski. Won last year, 9th the two previous years. He was the favorite going into last week at Daytona before the first of the wrecks as teams jockeyed for placement on the first stage.
2) Kurt Busch. For a second there it looked like Kurt would take his second Daytona trophy. He is solid at Atlanta as well where he took 7th place last year and 4th in 2016.
3) Kasey Kahne. The wreck took him at Daytona but he remains a good early season pick.
4) Ryan Blaney. He raced so well he deserved the W last week. Rolling the dice if his car and his driving.
5) Danica Patrick. A few top 20 wins here. Not a bad start at Daytona.