Baseball playoffs are well underway, UFC had a heated exchange after the match, the NFL is now just about 1/3 complete, the NHL is underway and the NBA is getting close to opening day.
NFL (Week 5)
- Aaron Rodgers threw for 442 yards and 3 TDs, Blake Bortles also threw for over 400 yards but he threw 4 interceptions and Andrew Luck had 3 Touchdown passes to go with 2 interceptions.
- Todd Gurley rushed for 3 Touchdowns; Isaiah Crowell Rushed for 219 yards and 1 Touchdown (against a tough Broncos defense!), Chris Carson and James Conner also rushed for over 100 yards each.
- Receiving – DeAndre Hopkins had 151 yards receiving, Davante Adams 140 yards and 1 TD, Odell Beckham Jr. 131 yards and 1 TD and Robby Anderson had 123 yards and 2 TDs.
- As for team play — Buffalo got its 2nd win of the season, The Bengals came back from being down 17-0 to win 27-17, Cleveland got its 2nd win of the season (in its 3rd OT game of the season), the Lions beat the Packers and the Carolina Panthers won on a 63 yard field goal and DT Joseph rumbles scored for Minnesota Vikings
- Defensively TJ Watt had 3 Sacks, Jerome Baker had 2 sacks as did Leonard Williams, Blake Martinez, Geno Atkins and Romeo Okwara. Geno Atkins, JJ Watt and TJ Watt co-lead the league with 6 sacks each. Nick Vigil leads the league with 41 tackles followed by Darius Leonard (38) and Budda Baker (36).
MLB (Playoffs Baby!)
- We had two play-in games, the Yankees (Specifically Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton) went deep and beat the Oakland Athletics. Colorado beat the Cubs 2-1 in 13 innings.
- Since the play-in games, Milwaukee limited Colorado to just 2 runs sweeping them in 3 games. The Brew Crew will advance to the NLCS
- The Astros have struck out the Indians 24 times in two games to take a 2-0 series lead
- Red Sox and Yankees are split with one game apiece.
- LA shutout Atlanta in the first two games and Atlanta rebounded 6-5 as the Dodgers hold a 2-1 series lead.
Cal State Fullerton has the most alumni on playoff rosters, with five players playing this postseason.— Baseball America (@BaseballAmerica) October 6, 2018
See how college programs are represented in the playoffs. https://t.co/UTydx33w8v
NHL (Week 1)
- Toronto and Chicago with a crazy end to the game last night and their players own the stat chart. Auston Matthews and John Tavares off to a strong start with 9 goals collectively. Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane each with 6 points along with Morgan Rielly.
- Roberto Luongo, Ben Bishop, Andrei Vasilevskiy all with at least a game played and a sub 1 GAA.
- Injuries have begun days into the season, Niklas Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, Roberto Luongo, Jonathan Quick, Nicolas Deslauriers, Andrew Ladd, Matt Beleskey, James van Riemsdyk, Joe Thornton, Tyler Johnson just to name a few.
- New York Knicks lead the east with 3 wins, while the Utah Jazz own the west in preseason with four wins.
- James Harden (30.4 ppg) and Anthony Davis (28.1) off to the best preseason starts.
- Check out Natty’s rankings:
EPL (Week 8)
- Manchester City and Liverpool tied at 0 apiece, Mourinho is likely out at Manchester United who are now 8th in standings? Meanwhile, Bournemouth now sits 6th in the standings, Wolverhampton in 7th and Tottenham in 5th. Conversely, Fulham has allowed 21 goals against (the most in EPL) and Huddersfield Town and Cardiff City each have just 4 goals for.
- Eden Hazard leads the league with 7 goals and there is a six way tie for most assists (4) Johann Gudmundsson (Burnley), Olivier Giroud (Chelsea), Jose Holebas (Watford), Benjamin Mendy (Manchester City), Luciano Vietto (Fulham) and Callum Wilson (Bournemouth)
- Clean sheets by Brighton and Hove Albion, Bournemouth, Tottenham Hotspur, Wolverhampton, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City
MLS (94% of the way into the season)
- Atlanta wins again as does FC Dallas (both remain atop their respective divisions. Each team has about 2 games left until the playoffs
- Top goal scorer: Josef Martinez (Atlanta), most assists: Luciano Acosta (DC United)
NASCAR (Gander Outdoors 400)
- Chase Elliott takes his second NASCAR win at a pivotal time. Denny Hamlin comes in second and Joey Logano takes 3rd.
- Aric Almora lead with five laps to go until a wreck including Alex Bowman, Martin Truex Jr. and Brad Keselowski occurred giving Chase the lead.
MMA (UFC – Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Conor McGregor)
- Quite an entertaining weekend for MMA as Khabib submits Conor to win)
- Immediately after there was a brawl between the fighters and their respective teams. Three members of Nurmagomedov’s team were arrested.
- College Hockey – Minnesota tied and beat Minnesota Duluth to start off with the season with a big upset.
- College Football – Plethora of upsets here as #22 Florida beats #5 LSU, #19 Texas beats #7 Oklahoma, Mississippi St beats #8 Auburn, undefeated #13 Kentucky loses to Texas A&M, #20 Michigan State falls to Northwestern and #25 Oklahoma State loses to Iowa State.
- Women’s Volleyball – Minnesota Gophers (#5) upset Nebraska (#3); Wisconsin (#6) upset by Iowa.
- Women’s Soccer – Washington State (#7) falls to Colorado (#20); Texas (#6) loses to TCU.
- Men’s Soccer – Notre Dame (#15) beats Louisville (#6); Wake Forest (#1) falls to Syracuse.