- In a trade that happened, then didn't happen, finally happened for real yesterday afternoon. The Houston Astros obtain Gerrit Cole from the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for Joe Musgrove, Colin Moran, Michael Feliz, and Jason Martin. Cole will join a crowded Astros rotation as the presumed #3 starter behind Dallas Keuchel and Justin Verlander. The Pirates grab a replacement arm in Musgrove, a solid 3B of the future in Moran, as well as high strikeout reliever Feliz and an additional OF prospect in Martin.
- Addison Reed signed a 2 year deal with the Twins. This is a solid landing spot for a very good RP. The bad news, fantasy wise, is Reed will be placed in a setup role behind other free agent accusation, Fernando Rodney. Reed would be an interesting fantasy closer if Rodney was to faulter and Reed take over the 9th inning duties.
- Adrian Gonzalez agreed to a deal with the Mets. The 35 year old played just 71 games last season and will be competing for at bats with the likes of Dominic Smith and Jay Bruce. Ignore Gonzalez in fantasy leagues as he is a bigger detriment to the other Mets 1B than a help to your fantasy team.
- Brad Hand received a 3 year contract extension from the Padres. This move solidifies his role as closer in San Diego. Hand had 21 saves while posting a 2.16 ERA and 0.93 WHIP with a 11.5 K/9 in 2017. The poor team he plays for might lower his potential for save chances but Hand should still be considered an above average to great fantasy closer.
- Luke Gregerson is considered the Cardinals closer 'as of today'. The St. Louis President of baseball operations said as much on Saturday. Gregerson did save 46 games for the Astros between 2015-16. Barring any more offseason moves, Gregerson is the closing option for the Red Birds. Proceed with caution there.
Gerrit Cole, Addison Reed, Adrian Gonzalez, more!
We have baseball news!