- Steven Matz pitched great on the road against the Nationals. The Mets starter pitched 7 scoreless innings with 4 Ks. This outing lowers his season ERA to 2.12. He was matched by Stephen Strasburg who pitched 7 scoreless innings of his own. Strasburg allowed just 2 hits while striking out 6. Both starters finished with a no decision.
- Aaron Nola continued pitching well. Nola went 7 scoreless innings allowing just 4 hits against the Pirates. He had 8 strikeouts in the win. Nola has allowed just 3 runs in 21.1 innings over his past 3 starts. He also has 25 Ks in that stretch.
- The Cardinals offense lit up the Marlins in a 14-6 win. Most of the damage came against Jeff Locke who allowed 11 runs over just 2.2 innings. Yadier Molina went 3 for 3 with 2 doubles and 3 RBI. The always steady veteran cathcer is batting .277 with 9 HR and 38 RBI this year. Tommy Pham went 3 for 3 with 2 RBI and 2 runs scored. Pham has 10 HR 9 SB and 38 runs scored on the season.
- Masahiro Tanaka went 7 innings allowing just 1 run in a win against the Blue Jays. He had 8 strikeouts in the game. This is his 3rd straight quality start. Gary Sanchez and Aaron Judge each went 2 for 4 with 2 runs scored. Both Yankees sluggers recently declared to compete in the Home Run Debry next week.
- Charlie Blackmon went 1 for 3 with a home run and a stolen base in a Rockies win over the Reds. Blackmon now has 18 HR 6 SB 59 RBI and 67 runs scored this season. Greg Holland nailed down the save with a perfect 9th inning with 2 Ks. Holland now has 27 saves this year. Joey Votto and Scooter Gennett each had solo homers in the loss for Cincinnati.
Happy 4th of July!