- Willson Contreras led the Cubs in a win over their cross town rival. He went 3 for 5 with a 3-run HR and finished with 4 RBI. Contreras has been on fire with a .347 average 7 HR and 18 RBI in July. Ian Happ was 1 for 2 with 2 steals in the win. For the White Sox, Carlos Rodon tied a career high with 11 strikeouts but only managed 4 innings in the loss. He gave up 4 runs on 7 hits and also walked 3 in the outing. The strikeouts are certainly there for Rodon but the rest hasn’t been so great.
- Travis Shaw remains great at baseball. The Brewers slugger went 2 for 3 with a 3-run HR in a win over the Nationals. Shaw has 23 HR on the season with 73 RBI and a .297 average. Eric Thames (remember him?) also had a solo HR in the game. Zach Davies pitched 7.2 shutout innings with 7 Ks in route to his 12th win of the season. A lot of Davies wins have been rather lucky but this one was well earned, especially considering the opponent.
- Speaking of shutout innings. Charlie Morton of the Astros shutout the Phillies over 7 innings of work with 9 strikeouts. He allowed just 3 hits in the start. He now owns an 8-4 record with a 3.83 ERA. Prior to this season, Morton had a 4.54 career ERA with a 6.3 K/9. He has improved that mark to a remarkable 10.1 K/9 this year. Jose Altuve extended his hitting streak to 17 games. Altuve was 1 for 4 in the game and saw his average drop to .513 during his hitting streak.
- The Rangers had a balanced offensive effort in a 10-4 win over the Marlins. All but 1 of the starting 9 hitters had at least 1 RBI. Joey Gallo made the most noise hitting 2 solo homers. Gallo now has 25 HR on the season despite a .199 batting average. Christian Yelich went 3 for 4 with a 3-run HR in the loss. Yelich had all 4 RBI for Miami. 10 HR 51 RBI and a .284 average are the season marks for Yelich.
- Danny Duffy and Michael Fulmer both pitched well in a 3-1 Royals win against the Tigers. Duffy went 6.1 innings allowing 1 run on 6 hits with 4 strikeouts. Duffy improved to 7-6 on the year with a 3.56 ERA. Fulmer went 8 innings allowing 3 runs with 6 strikeouts in the loss. Fulmer drops to 10-8 on the year despite a solid 3.35 ERA for the season. He has also gone at least 8 innings in 4 of his past 6 starts.
Willson Contreras, Travis Shaw, Charlie Morton, more!
A look at the fantasy performances from July 25, 2017