- Trevor Rosenthal gave up the game winning run in a loss to the Mets. Rosenthal, who was rumored to be in line for Cardinals saves, walked a batter and allowed 2 hits in the 9th. He would get just 2 outs before the walk off. He entered the inning with the game tied at 2-2 so this technically wasn’t a blow save. Still, one has to wonder what this does for his move back in the closer’s role. He’s also been in the mix of trade rumors to top all of that off. Tommy Pham went 2 for 4 driving in both runs for St. Louis. He had a solo HR and a RBI double. Pham is fantasy’s #1 OF over the past 30 days.
- The Diamondbacks offense put up 6 insurance runs in the 9th inning of a 12-2 win over the Reds. Jake Lamb was 2 for 5 with a pair of 3-run homers. His 1st was in the 1st inning and the 2nd came as part of the 6-run 9th inning for Arizona. Lamb is now up to 22 HR and 76 RBI on the season. Paul Goldschmidt would go 0 for 5 with 4 strikeouts... because baseball. Eugenio Suarez provided both runs for the Reds with a pair of solo home runs. Suarez has 3 homers over his past 4 games, all of the solo variety.
- Justin Smoak went 3 for 5 with 2 home runs and 3 RBI in a Blue Jays win over the Red Sox. Smoak has been a huge fantasy surprise this season. He now has 26 HR and 62 RBI to go with a .298 average. Roberto Osuna worked a perfect 9th inning with 2 Ks for his 24th save of the season. Osuna lowered his season ERA to 2.06 and his WHIP to 0.74. He is a top 5 closer in fantasy this season. For Boston, Dustin Pedroia went 3 for 5 with a 3-run HR. This is just his 6th homer of the year. Pedroia remains a solid middle infield option with a .315 average and a .392 OBP.
- Jonathan Schoop went 2 for 5 with a HR and 3 RBI. He was 1 of 4 Orioles hitter to go yard in a win over the Rangers. Schoop is batting .302 with 19 HR and 63 RBI on the year. Zach Britton pitched the 9th in a non save situation. He struggled allowing 2 runs on a walk and 2 hits. He did manage to get the game’s final out. It will be interesting to see if Britton or Brad Brach (who pitched a perfect 8th inning with 2 Ks) gets the next save chance.
- Mike Moustakas went 3 for 4 with 3 RBI in a Royals 16-4 win over the Tigers. This gives the third baseman 59 RBI on the season to go with 25 HR. Eric Hosmer was 2 for 3 with a solo shot and 2 RBI. He also had 3 runs scored and brought his average up to .315 on the year. Salvador Perez stole a base! It was his first steal since April 8, 2015. This makes him a perfect 3 for 3 in stolen base attempts in his career!
Trevor Rosenthal, Jake Lamb, Roberto Osuna, more!
A look at the fantasy performances from July 20, 2017