- Rich Hill got roughed up by the Indians in a 12-5 loss. The Dodgers starter allowed 7 runs on 8 hits in just 4 innings of work. Hill has yet to make it past 5 innings in any of his starts this year. This outing was also his worst performance wise. The argument for Hill was always that he’d provide great innings, even if there were far fewer IP than most. Now Hill is pitching poorly on top of the low IP. Hard to argue for him.
- Someone who did pitch well is Jose Berrios of the Twins. Berrios went 8 innings of 2 run ball with 6 Ks and just 1 BB. Berrios has been lights out this season and his much improved command has made a world of difference. He now has a 2.74 ERA and 0.96 WHIP on the year. Berrios continues to trend up.
- Nick Pivetta out dueled Chris Sale because baseball. Sale held the Phillies to just 4 hits and 1 run in a complete game (8 IP) loss. He had 10 Ks. The Red Sox offense managed just 5 hits and was shut out by the combined effort of Pivetta, Pat Neshek, and Hector Neris. Neris, who lost the closers role temperarily, looks to be back in the 9th inning role for Philadelphia.
- Eric Thames hit a 2-run HR to give the Brewers a 6-4 win over the Cardinals. This was his 2nd HR in as many days. The fantasy surprise of April had a less impressive May but has given owners reason to cheer over the past 2 days. Travis Shaw was 2 for 4 with an RBI and a steal. He now has 7 SB and continues to be 1 of my heros.
- Gio Gonzalez held the Mets to 2 runs on 5 hits over 7 innings in a winning effort. He struck out 5 and issued nary a walk. Gonzalez has been solid but mostly underwhelming the past few seasons. This year he continues to pitch well and now has a 2.89 ERA and a 6-1 record.
Rich Hill, Jose Berrios, Gio Gonzalez, more!
A look at the fantasy performances from June 15, 2017