- Josh Bell was 1 for 3 with a 2-run HR in a Pirates 10-4 over the Nationals. This was his 4th homer in his past 6 games and his 9th of the year. He’s hitting just .248 but in getting everyday at bats for Pittsburgh and is a viable option for Freddie Freeman owners in need of a replacement. Adam Frazier was 3 for 5 with 4 RBI. Frazier is batting leadoff for the Pirates and is 11 for 15 over his last 5 games.
- J.D. Martinez was 1 for 1 with 3 BB and a 3-run HR. Martinez has been on fire since returning for the Tigers. He’s batting .500 with 5 HR 11 RBI and 7 runs scored over his first 6 games of 2017. He’s easily top 100 going forward and fantasy owners will keep their fingers crossed that he doesn’t suffer another injury. Alex Wilson picked up the save. Justin Wilson was unavailable. Both Wilsons are pitching well for Detroit but Justin Wilson still has the closer’s gig. Justin has far more upside with his high strikeout total.
- The Rockies and Twins played 2 games on Thursday. In game 1, Nolan Arenado was 1 for 3 with his 10th HR of the year. He has 28 RBI and 29 runs scored on the season. Greg Holland would record the final out of the 5-1 Rockies win to get his league leading 18th save. This insane pace is bound to regress eventually but fantasy owners are reaping the benefits through the 1st 2 months of the year. Game 2 belonged to the Twins and Jose Berrios. Berrios dominated the Rockies with 7.2 scoreless innings allowing just 2 hits and striking out 11. This is his 2nd straight outting allowing 2 hits over 7.2 innings. He has walked just 1 in each start as well. He’s lined up to face the Orioles in Baltimore next Wednesday.
- Julio Teheran was roughed up by the Blue Jays. He allowed 8 hits and 9 runs over just 3 innings. This start bumps up his season ERA to 5.47. Marcus Stroman pitched 5.2 scoreless innings with 6 Ks. He also had a home run. This start drops his ERA for the year to an even 3.00. Kendrys Morales was 4 for 5 with 2 RBI. He’s hitting .255 with 7 HR and 23 RBI on the year.
- Danny Duffy was dominant in a Royals 5-1 win over the Yankees. Duffy went 7 scoreless innings allowing 3 hits and getting 10 Ks. This game is a big step for a pitcher many believed could be top 20 if not higher. The strikeouts are the biggest takeaway. Duffy has a 2.97 ERA so far in 2017. Mike Moustakas hit a 3-run HR in the game. He has 10 HR and 22 RBI this season.
A look at the fantasy performances from May 18, 2017