- The Nationals 7-6 win over the Phillies was a lot closer than Washington would have hoped. After all, they led Philadelphia 7-0 at the end of the 5th. Max Scherzer was solid in his 2017 debut. 6.2 inning with 2 runs and 7 Ks. Blake Treinen was shaky. He allowed a 2 run home run before recording his 1st out in the 9th. Despite this, he did manage to nailed down his 3rd save of the year. To make things more interesting, Koda Glover came on in the 8th with 2 men on base. Glover proceeded to get 3 straight outs and strand his 2 inherited runners.
- Brandon Belt had a big day at the plate in the Giants 7-6 loss to the Padres. Belt hit 2 homers, 1 a grand slam, and finished with 5 RBI. The Padres had a couple of stand outs on offense. Yangervis Solarte was 3-5 with 4 RBI and speedster Manuel Margot showed off some power with 2 solo shots.
- If the season ended today, the Cincinnati Reds would win the NL Central! Their pitching staff shut out the Cardinals on Friday and only allowed 2 hits. Amir Garrett was the anchor with 6 solid innings, Michael Lorenzen worked a clean 7th, and Rasiel Iglesias got the rare 2 inning save. I'm not sure how long this Reds magic will last, but it has been fun to watch. Mike Leake had 8 innings of 1 run ball for St. Louis. That effort was, unfortunately, wasted.
- Nomar Mazara had a career game in the Rangers 10-5 win over the Athletics. He smacked a grand slam in the 2nd inning and finished 3-5 with a career high 6 RBI. Mazara is hitting .588 with 2 HR and 9 RBI to start the season. Maybe he warrants a bit more attention in fantasy.
- Walk, strike out, HOME RUN, walk, walk, DOUBLE, walk, single, and good bye. This is your summary for Francisco Liriano’s horrible outing against the Rays. 3 hits, 4 walks, 5 runs, just 1 out. A 135.00 ERA! The only positive was the Blue Jays rallied back enough to get Liriano off the hook for the loss. Tampa Bay would go on to win the game 10-8. Liriano’s next start will be at home to the Orioles... avoid him in your fantasy leagues.
Roto Report (April 7, 2017): Mazara, Belt, Liriano, more!
A look at the fantasy performances from April 7, 2017