• Masahiro Tanaka was rocked in the season opener by the Tampa Bay Rays. He surrendered 7 runs, including 2 HR, in just 2.2 innings of work. He'll look to rebound at Baltimore later this week.
• Evan Longoria knocked in the first run of the season and followed it up by hitting the first homerun of the season as well. The Rays third baseman finished the game going 2-4 with 3 RBI.
• Madison Bumgarner had a solid day both on the mound and at the plate. In addition to throwing 7 innings with 11 strikeouts, the Giants ace hit a pair of solo homeruns. San Francisco's bullpen couldn't hold the lead for Bumgarner though, as they fell 6-5 to the Diamondbacks.
• Mark Melancon blew his first save opportunity as the new Giants closer. The 32 year old was 47 of 51 in save opportunities between the Pirates and Nationals in 2016. Melancon signed a 4 year, $62 million deal during the offseason so he should remain the closer for the foreseeable future.
• Jon Lester (5 innings 1 run 7 Ks) and Carlos Martinez (7.1 scoreless innings 10 Ks) had a pitchers duel to end the first night of the 2017 season. Cardinals closer Seung-Hwan Oh would give up a three run HR to Willson Contreras in the ninth. Both starters ended up with a no decision as a result.
Baseball is back! And if Sunday's games are any indication, the season should be a lot of fun!