- Stephen Piscotty had a huge hand in the Cardinals 6-1 victory over the Nationals. He was 3-5 with 5 RBI including a 3-run HR. Mike Leake was dominant on the hill for the Red Birds. Leake went 7 scoreless innings while getting 7 Ks. The St. Louis pitcher has 15 innings of work with a 0.60 ERA and 0.73 WHIP in 2 starts.
- The battle between two young lefties in New York was a disappointing one. Rays starter Blake Snell managed just 4.2 inning walking 3 and getting just 1 K. Yankees pitcher Jordan Montgomery was making his major league debut. The tall lefty threw 4.2 innings as well but racked up 7 strikeouts. Both have bright futures but clearly need more time to reach their respective potentials. Brett Gardner had a scary injury on a collision at first base. He passed the concussion protocol but it still likely to miss his team’s next game. Gardner was off to a fast start with 5 SB on the year.
- Zach Lee pitched just once in the majors before his Wednesday start at Colorado. Lee gave up 11 hits and 7 runs in that start back in 2015 as a member of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Naturally, he came into Coors Field and shut out the Rockies. The 25 year old went 5.1 scoreless innings allowing just 2 hits. A complete 180 from his last major league appearance. This was the first time Colorado had been held scoreless at home since July of 2015. Because baseball!
- Amir Garrett was solid as the Reds took down the Pirates 9-2. Garrett went 6.2 innings allowing 2 runs and striking out 5. He now has a 1.42 ERA and 0.71 WHIP in 12.2 innings. Eugenio Suarez was an offensive star going 3-4 including a 3 RBI double. Suarez is quickly becoming one of my favorite adds in fantasy so far. He is hitting .429 with 2 HR 1 SB 7R and 8 RBI. He finished 2016 a top 200 player with 21HR and 11SB but had a .248 average and a high strikeout rate. He currently has 5 walks and just 4 strikeouts. This should help raise his average. Add Suarez in hopes he becomes a top 150 or better fantasy player.
- Marcus Stroman had a complete game wasted in the Blue Jays 2-0 loss to the Brewers. Stroman threw 9 innings with 2 earned runs and 4 Ks. He was out pitched by Chase Anderson who had 7 scoreless innings of 3 hit ball with 7 strikeouts. Jonathan Villar had a solo shot in the 6th inning of the contest. Villar has struggled to begin the year, but this game could be a sign of hope for those who drafted him.
Roto Report (April 12, 2017): Piscotty, Suarez, Stroman, more!
A look at the fantasy performances from April 12, 2017