I cannot remember the last time we had this many injuries, suspensions, or late deactivations to premier players in one week. Currently, there are only three injuries to consider for the quarterback position with Robert Griffin, Carson Palmer, and Shaun Hill. However, the plethora of other players from other positions missing time will each have an effect on the projections of the quarterbacks for this week.
The loss of one of the greatest receiving threats in the league in A.J. Green will downgrade Andy Dalton as this will allow Hue Jackson to continue to move the offense further into featuring the run game. In New York, the slow and steady progression of Geno Smith could be hindered as Eric Decker fights through a hamstring injury. And of course, the casualty of Jamaal Charles to a Kansas City team with a severe deficiency of offensive weapons will leave Alex Smith with very little hope to live up to that franchise contract.
On the flip side, some injuries - though unfortunate for their respective teams - could help the outlook of their quarterbacks for as long as they are out. Phillip Rivers should see more passing attempts with Ryan Mathews sidelined as they look to get Danny Woodhead more involved. The Miami offense could also be forced to throw more with the loss of Knowshon Moreno. Lamar Miller has looked good as a receiving weapon out of the backfield yet has not been able to reach the same rushing production as Moreno has had up to this point.
Also, with the agreement on the new NFL drug policy, we should see the return of some of the suspended players this week as their sentences get reduced to time served. Such players as Wes Welker and Stedman Bailey will be a welcome addition to their offenses.
With all that being said, here is how I see this week playing out for the quarterbacks for this week as I rank all of the projected starters from 1-32.
1. Aaron Rodgers (GB) @ Detroit Lions
2. Drew Brees (NO) vs Minnesota Vikings
3. Matt Ryan (ATL) vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers
4. Matthew Stafford (DET) vs Green Bay Packers
5. Nick Foles (PHI) vs Washington Redskins
6. Andrew Luck (IND) @ Jacksonville Jaguars
7. Jay Cutler (CHI) @ New York Jets
8. Peyton Manning (DEN) @ Seattle Seahawks
9. Cam Newton (CAR) vs Pittsburgh Steelers
10. Russell Wilson (SEA) vs Denver Broncos
11. Phillip Rivers (SD) @ Buffalo Bills
12. Andy Dalton (CIN) vs Tennessee Titans
13. Colin Kaepernick (SF) @ Arizona Cardinals
14. Tony Romo (DAL) @ St. Louis Rams
15. Tom Brady (NE) vs Oakland Raiders
16. Kirk Cousins (WAS) @ Philadelphia Eagles
17. Joe Flacco (BAL) @ Cleveland Browns
18. Ben Roethlisberger (PIT) @ Carolina Panthers
19. Geno Smith (NYJ) vs Chicago Bears
20. Josh McCown (TB) @ Atlanta Falcons
21. Eli Manning (NYG) vs Houston Texans
22. Jake Locker (TEN) @ Cincinnati Bengals
23. Drew Stanton (ARZ) vs San Francisco 49ers
24. Ryan Tannehill (MIA) vs Kansas City Chiefs
25. Brian Hoyer (CLE) vs Baltimore Ravens
26. Matt Cassel (MIN) @ New Orleans Saints
27. EJ Manuel (BUF) vs San Diego Chargers
28. Alex Smith (KC) @ Miami Dolphins
29. Chad Henne (JAX) vs Indianapolis Colts
30. Shaun Hill (STL) vs Dallas Cowboys
31. Ryan Fitzpatrick (HOU) @ New York Giants
32. Derek Carr (OAK) @ New England Patriots
Hopefully everyone enjoys this last week of having the full league of options available to choose from. Week 4 will kick off the bye weeks with six total teams on bye including Denver, Seattle, Cincinnati, Arizona, Cleveland, and St. Louis. A lot of fantasy owners will be scrambling to complete a roster next week. Until then, continue to dominate this week, and I will be here again next week to help you along through the madness.