- Juan Carlos Oviedo, or the artist formerly know as Leo Nunez, will begin a rehab assignment this week after coming back from suspension. Ozzie, being that bat-crap crazy guy he is, has already suggested a closer share with struggling Heath Bell. In deeper leagues, its worth adding Oviedo on speculation, but I wanna see some counting stats first.
- Matt Capps is coming back from the DL. He was sidelined with some shoulder issues. In his stead Glen Perkins has 4 saves, and Jared Burton has 2. I wouldn't drop either save spec guy just yet as Capps as been rumored to be on the block, with the new kids and Jenny.
- Well I am glad that me talking submissive awoke the sleeping stats of Kenley Jansen. In the past 7 games he has 3 saves and 11 K's in 6 plus innings. You, my friend, get a sticker.
- I know that Ernesto Frieri is the sexier to own guy in the bullpen for the Angels, but has anyone taken a gander at Scott Downs numbers. Go look. I will wait. Yea, he has been crazy good with 15 holds and 8 saves, he is easily in the top 5 of most valuable RP in baseball.
- At the mid way point of the season...well sort of, did you know that they are only 2 closers who have been perfect in save opportunities and garnering saves from them. Huston Street and Ernesto Frieri come on down. You are the next yadda yadda yadda spay and neuter.
- In set-up catch-up, Jason Grilli has the highest K/9 rate of any non-closer. He also has 2 less holds, 21, than the league leader Vinnie Pestano.
Stick around for the mid-seson closer rankings and Holds tiers after the jump.