It might be a little early to start making out Top 10 lists, but since we are posting out Top 20 by position, I decided to provide my Top 10 hitters for 2011. Here's an early look at my Top 10 hitters for 2011:
1. Miguel Cabrera-He's on pace for 40-145-.330. Any questions?
2. Albert Pujols-On pace for 40-120-17-.300. A down year??
3. Hanley Ramirez-on pace for 25-100-30-.300, and I was wrong about him. He's really good.
4. David Wright-another guy I was wrong on. On pace for 27-125-20-.300. He's BACK!
5. Robinson Cano-replaces Chase Utley as the top fantasy second baseman. On pace for 30-110-.330.
6. Evan Longoria-he could battle for the top fantasy third baseman with a hot second half. On pace for 25-120-25-.290
7. Matt Kemp-he's on pace for 30-100-25 even with the horrendous June. He's a free agent at the end of 2011, so he could move up this list by the end of the year.
8. Carl Crawford-60 steals is 60 steals.
9. Carlos Gonzalez-I'm buying the breakout. He's on pace for 30-100-25-.300.
10. Joey Votto-he's been real hot of late, and 2010 is his breakout year. On pace for 40-120-15-.300.
This list is missing some regulars like Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Braun and Chase Utley, but all three have underperformed fantasy owners' expectations this year. This is the second year in a row that Utley has missed time due to injury, and he's not getting any younger.
With Ryan Braun, I have no idea what is going on with him. He is on pace for 20-100-20-.300. That's real good, but many were expecting him to approach 40 HRs this season to go with the 100+ RBIs and 20+ SBs.
Alex Rodriguez is nursing a hip injury and the Yankees are looking for a corner infielder to spell A-Rod a few days a week. He's on pace for 27-130, but he won't be running anymore, and who knows if he will require more surgery down the road. Is it possilble he becomes a full-time DH in the next year or two? I know the Dodgers were bunting down the third base line to test his hip a few weeks ago.
Sure, Braun and ARod could make the Top 10 by the end of the season, but right now, they have to prove it with a strong second half. I don't see Utley making many Top 10 lists with his injury history.