Here are some spring training notes to ponder with fantasy/roto drafts on the horizon. My 3 drafts don't start till April 1st-thank God for Mockdraftcentral.
- Yesterday, Josh Kinney, fresh off almost two years out of baseball due to Tommy John surgery, recorded a save for the Cardinals vs. the Braves. On Friday, Chris Perez got the save, but gave up two runs while doing so. Who wins the closer job? At this point it is anyone's guess. I say Jason Motte, but Ryan Franklin is also in the mix.
- Braves rookie pitcher Kenshin Kawakami has pitched pretty well for the Braves this spring training. In his 4 2/3 innings vs. the Cardinals he gave up 7 hits, and 9 of the 14 outs he recorded were via the flyball. Not a good indicator.
- Pirates prospects Andrew McCutchen and Pedro Alvarez continue to impress. McCutchen went 1-2 vs. the Yankees, with another walk, and has raised his average to .237 and his OBP to .383 IN 38 spring ABS (Nyjer Morgan is hitting .184 with an OBP of .244 in 38 ABs). Alvarez was 2-2 with 2 doubles, and he is hitting .438 this spring.
- Chase Utley went 2-4 in a B game yesterday. Sounds like he will be ready for Opening Day.
- There are rumors the Astros are interested in Ivan Rodriguez. Makes perfect sense for Ed Wade, but not for the Astros who have a young catcher named JR Towles. Could he pull a Chris Iannetta this year?
- Finally, Joe Torre has been batting Matt Kemp all over the lineup this spring. Lately he has batted 7th and 8th-does he deserve to hit 7th or 8th?
- Is it me or are alot of ace pitchers getting rocked this spring-Jake Peavy gives up 6 runs vs. Puerto Rico, Brandon Webb, Dan Haren, and CC Sabathia. Will their springs stats affect where they are drafted?