Baseball Happenings has begun a dynamic feature that draws on the collective knowledge of the blogging community to provide intelligence on which players are currently considered the leading contenders for the big three baseball awards - MVP, Cy Young and ROY - for the American and National leagues. This week's AL voting should be available later today.
Here is the way I voted. My biases for voting in the Cy Young and MVP awards lean towards those hitters and pitchers playing on contending teams. ROY determination is not tied are strongly to his team's record, but good rookies on expected play-off contenders will get additional consideration.
AL Cy Young:
- Cliff Lee, Cleveland Indians
- Ervin Santana, Los Angeles Angels
- Chien-Ming Wang, New York Yankees
- Casey Kotchman, Los Angeles Angels
- Manny Ramirez Boston Red Sox
- Johnny Damon, New York Yankees
- Jacoby Ellsbury, Boston Red Sox
- Greg Smith, Oakland Athletics
- Nick Blackburn, Minnesota Twins