Baseball Happenings has begun a dynamic feature that draws on the collective knowledge of the blogging community to provide intelligence on which players are currently considered the leading contenders for the big three baseball awards - MVP, Cy Young and ROY - for the American and National leagues. Last week, he had the initial results for the NL.
This week's AL voting should be available later today. Here is the way I voted. My biases for voting in the Cy Young and MVP awards lean towards those hitters and pitchers playing on contending teams. ROY determination is not tied are strongly to his team's record, but good rookies on expected paly-off contenders will get additional consideration.
AL Cy Young:
- Javier Vasquez Chicago White Sox
- Daisake Matzusaka Boston Red Sox
- Ervin Santan Los Angeles Angels
- Manny Ramirez Boston Red Sox
- Chone Figgins Los Angeles Angels
- Kevin Youkilis Boston Red Sox
- Nick Blackburn Minnesota Twins
- David Murphy Texas Rangers
- Joba Chamberlain New york Yankees