Bob Nightengale reported just a little while ago that Yankees third baseman has been suspended for 162 games, the longest suspension ever handed down by MLB. His suspension was reduced from 211 games to 162 games, but he is expected to appeal the ruling.
Arod says he will take the 162 game decision to federal court in a lawsuit #Yankees— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) January 11, 2014
Finally, this ordeal is over and his playing days could be over. It has been rumored, by ESPN's Buster Olney, that the Yankees could decide to waive him once his suspension is over, which wouldn't actually happen till around this time next year.
The Yankees now have appoximately $27.5 million to spend elsewhere this offseason, most likely free agent starter Masahiro Tanaka. If outbid for his services, they could look to add one of Ervin Santana, Ubaldo Jimenez, or Matt Garza.
There is no real fantasy impact here as I wasn't including ARod in any of my position rankings with the thought that he would be suspended for at least the majority of the 2014 season.
- 2014 Fantasy Baseball Profile: David Ortiz
- Fantasy Baseball Rankings: Top 20 Position Rankings
- Derek Holland out until midseason due to knee injury
- EPL: Week 21 Preview
- Draft Strategy: More data that offense is trending south
- 3 UP / 3 DOWN: 2014 Starting Pitchers
- FuN with ZiPS: Billy Hamilton, Cincinnati Reds
- Should fantasy owners be cautious on Cardinal pitchers in 2014?
- 2014 Minor League Keeper Thoughts: Arizona Diamondbacks