gr gr gr GREGORIUS

USA TODAY Sports Images

What can we expect from the GREGORIUS D.I.D.I moving forward?

gr gr gr GREGORIUS

I’m more of an emo/alternative music type guy, but I can’t help chanting this to the tune of Notorious B.I.G.

I initially was attempting to sell high on him by pairing him with Beltran/Bautista + a prospect for Jean Segura (needed and still need SB quite a bit in this one league). Jean Segura has been a monster and even if he drops off, I expect him to approach 17hr/35+sb where his OBP and SLG would also be assets in this league. I posted on Mean Jean Segura and Starling Marte last week.

However, more and more, I am comfortable consuming my MI slot with Gregorius D.I.D.I. So let’s delve into him.

Remember to listen to this week’s podcast where they attend mainly to prospect impact. Send requests to @Faketeams on twitter or at Rotobanter.com so that they can be featured on the show or provide us content to post on. You can also email me directly at rotobanter@gmail.com.

Homerun potential:

As of 29May2013, Didi ranks 161st on Jeff Zimmerman’s Homerun and Fly ball average distance leaderboards at 275.96 feet. 9.5% of his Fly balls have been belted for homeruns. For comparison-sake, let’s take a look at a few guys with average distances within a foot of Didi:

Rank


Name


Stance


Year


Hits


Distance


Angle


HR/FB


FB%


Ct%


HR


Park Factor


153

Jay Jon

L

2013

27

276.72

-7.52

10.3%

27.1%

81.6%

4

.93

154

Stubbs Drew

R

2013

25

276.67

5.07

6.5%

42.2%

70.8%

3

.93

159

Gardner Brett

L

2013

43

276.06

-5.65

9.4%

37.3%

86.6%

5

1.16

161

Gregorius Didi

L

2013

20

275.96

3.71

9.5%

46.2%

81.8%

4

1.02

162

Lowrie Jed

L

2013

31

275.85

5.86

5.2%

38.2%

88.2%

3

.94

163

Jackson Austin

R

2013

31

275.75

14.21

5.4%

31.6%

83.3%

2

1.04

166

Freeman Frederick

L

2013

27

275.62

-1.80

8.3%

31%

77%

3

.99

168

Carpenter Matt

L

2013

41

275.31

-4.48

6.9%

35.6%

90.7%

4

.93

Didi has the highest FB% among this group. His career MiLB FB% are 27.1% (OFB) and 12% (IFFB) totaling 39.1%. His MLB IFFB% this year is 11.9% giving him a 34.3% OFB%. In general, as players age, they learn to lift the ball more. I wouldn’t be surprised if his OFB slightly regresses, but he’s only 23 meaning his average distance should increase over time and into the next few years. Let’s say his Contact rate remains at 81%, in 400 at bats we should see something as follows:

400 AB * 81% Ct * 40% FB * 8.5% HR/FB = 11 HR.

Average:


His current contact rate of 81.8% is a fairly good translation from what it was in his MiLB career, but his batting average on balls in play (especially if his FB% remains elevated) should regress. Currently at .364, his expected BABIP based on his LD% is .340. Here on out we should expect a .320 to .340 giving way to an end average of about .285-.290.

Recommendation:

Didi should remain a MI asset, but if someone is desperate for a MI, I wouldn’t hesitate to sell high. If you’re in a keeper league and you plucked him off waivers, he could be a great cheap 85-18-58-8-.290 option as soon as next year (or this year if we’re lucky).

Send us offers you are fielding for him @Rotobanter on twitter or for longer more insightful responses, send us requests here at Rotobanter.com.

Related posts:

Freddie Freeman - His BIP Data is LD%-full and ISO-less

Daniel Schwartz owns and contributes for Rotobanter.com – a fantasy baseball site dedicated to visitor requests and live discussion. You can follow him on twitter @Rotobanter or email him at rotobanter@gmail.com.


Latest News

Trending Discussions

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Fake Teams

You must be a member of Fake Teams to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Fake Teams. You should read them.

Join Fake Teams

You must be a member of Fake Teams to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Fake Teams. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9351_tracker