By now, you heard about the blockbuster deal that send Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler to the Tigers for first baseman Prince Fielder and $30 million. This deal fills a need for both teams, as the Tigers needed a second baseman to replace free agent Omar Infante and the Rangers needed a first baseman since Mitch Moreland was never their long term answer at first. Now they have their long term answer.
But, are they finished wheeling and dealing? ESPN's David Schoenfield thinks not. He suggests, as many have, that the Rangers could be the Yankees biggest competitor for free agent second baseman Robinson Cano. Signing Cano would mean there is no place for Profar at second base. He could play the outfield, but you don't put a great infielder in the outfield, plus he has little power.
Schoenfield suggests they deal Profar to the Cardinals for Oscar Taveras. This trade also makes sense for both teams, as the Cardinals are desperate for a shortstop, and Profar would be a perfect fit for them. The Rangers lost Nelson Cruz to free agency, so a trade for Taveras would provide them with a young bat to replace Cruz in right field.
This massive overhaul, should all of these transactions occur would result in a pretty damn good lineup in Texas, per Schoenfield:
For the Rangers, that would give them this potential lineup:
SS Elvis Andrus
RF Alex Rios
2B Robinson Cano
1B Prince Fielder
LF Oscar Taveras
DH Mitch Moreland
C Geovany Soto/other
CF Leonys Martin/Craig Gentry
All this makes for a nice prelude to the Winter Meetings in a few weeks.
Should the Rangers sign Cano and trade Profar? Vote in the poll below and share your thoughts on this trade rumor in the comments as well.
More from Fake Teams:
- MLB Trade Rumors: Tigers deal Prince Fielder for Ian Kinsler
- Fantasy EPL: Non All-Star Team
- Deep Thoughts: David Murphy
- Padres sign Josh Johnson to one-year, $8 million deal
- MLB Trade Rumors: Andre Ethier, Matt Kemp, Carl Crawford available
- The Top 5 National League Fantasy Pitching Prospect Rankings
- Prospect Man to Man: Carlos Correa vs George Springer
- Fantasy Football: Week 12 Waiver Wire and More
- Tim Hudson: San Francisco Giant