Until this season, Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun had put up first round production in each of the past six seasons in the big leagues, even after failing a drug test in 2011. Well, little did we know he continued to use and use into 2013 (I believe), and was suspended for not 50 games, but 65 games in 2013.
He ended the 2013 season hitting .298-.372-.498 with 9 HRs, 30 runs, 38 RBI and 4 stolen bases in just 61 games. He dealt with various injuries before his 65 game suspension was issued. Certainly, 2013 was his worst season as a big leaguer, so that begs the question, what do we make of Braun in 2014?
Here is a quick look at his career stats, courtesy of Baseball-Reference:
As you can see, he hit 30+ HRs and drove in 100+ runs in five of the six seasons before his 2013 season. He also scored 100+ runs four times, and scored 90+ runs every from 2007 - 2012. Not only did he hit for power, drive in and score runs, he stole double digit bags from 2007 - 2012, and stole 30+ bases in 2011 and 2012. Pretty impressive, and no one questioned taking him in the first 3-4 picks over the last two seasons.
So, heading into the 2014 season, many articles will be written about Braun offering opinions on why he should/should not be a first round pick next season.
I think he will drop in drafts, but will offer very similar production that we all have come to expect from him. He will have a HUGE chip on his shoulder to restore his star status in MLB.
What do Fake Teams readers think? Let's hear your opinions in the comments section. I would love to hear what you have to say.
More from Fake Teams:
- EPL Week 7 Fantasy Preview
- Off Season Discussion: Who Belongs In The Top Ten Fantasy Prospects List?
- Progress, Regress, Anyone's Guess: Francisco Liriano
- First Quarter: Top 3 Fantasy Football Performers TE Edition
- A Look Back at my 30 Bold Predictions for 2013: American League
- First Quarter: Top 3 Fantasy Football Performers RB Edition
- My Super Early Top 10 for 2014
- First Quarter: Top 3 Fantasy Football Performers QB Edition