Undrafted archers are hard to come by.
Kenley Jansen is on the verge of being shut down for a irregular heartbeat. The Dodgers are in fairly good shape as they have capable options to fill in. Don Mattingly has said that it will be a split duty situation with Ronald Belisario and Brandon League getting the nods.
- The ever perplexing San Francisco Giants bullpen is an enigma wrapped in a burrito with a sides of guacamole. Santiago Casilla hasn't seen a save opportunity in almost a month, in the mean time Sergio Romo and Javier Lopez are doing the left/right committee thing.
- Alfredo Aceves has run his course as closer in Boston. Andrew Bailey has returned from the boo boo list and stint in the minors and has been inserted into his previous role. His value moving forward is based on his health, he is arbitration eligble for the second time next year and unless Boston breaks the bank on a closer in free agency I foresee him returning with a chance to close.
- After a brief reduction in role and a return to it Jon Axford as gone back to being the closer and having results becoming of a closer. In the past 7 games he has 3 saves in as many opps. Although he crapped on most owners during the year he is still a middle of the road for the ROS and next year.
- Huston Street has been sidelined with a strained calf. He had a minor setback in his rehab appearance and his return is now on hold. Luke Gregerson is the most rosterable and reliable option in Street's stead.
- Fernando Rodney is the first closer in history to record 40 plus saves and have an ERA under 1. By far making him the most valuable undrafted player of 2012. He is also a free agent after the season and most likely will price himself out of the Rays budget.
- Everyone is always looking for the next closer or the future at a position. In Detroit, Jose Valverde is a free agent and his replacement could very well come from within. Bruce Rondon is a flame throwing reliever who over three levels this year has recorded 29 saves and big time K numbers. He could be the attention grabber early next year alas Addison Reed last year.
- In the bizarre stat of the week department. Two first place teams, the White Sox and the Texas Rangers are 27th and 28th respectfully in Holds as a team. It just goes to show that not all winning teams are prone to have the elite relief numbers.
More info and rankings after the jump.