Well, it's Saturday, and that means that there is probably going to be a baseball game on your television or radio at some point in the day. I would hazard to guess that a majority of our readers have a favorite team of their own, but but also tend to be fans of baseball in general. This got me thinking - What things would be on a baseball fan's "bucket list"? The idea here is to come up with tasks/things/etc. that sort of transcend specific team allegiances, and are things that fans of baseball in general should try to do at least once in their lifetime.
We want you to add things in the comments that you think might belong on this list - remember that there isn't necessarily a right or wrong answer, as every fan has had different experiences that have been viewed in different manners. The goal here is to find things that transcend team allegiances. As an example, I am not a Dodgers fan, but I think every fan should listen to Vin Scully call a baseball game, regardless of their allegiances.
The key with any suggestions is this: Each item should be repeatable (ie, if you suggest it, I could go do that tomorrow or sometime soon). The example I gave our writers is that you can watch the video of the "Shot Heard Round the World" from 1951, but you cannot go back and sit in the stands for that specific game. The other key is that it doesn't have to be something that you can known when you sit down that it will happen, like a clinching playoff victory or a no-hitter. These are things that are still repeatable, but not predictable.
I reached out to our writers here at Fake Teams, and asked for some of their suggestions on this. You can find theirs (and my own) after the jump...
See something you think doesn't belong on the list? Think you've accomplished the most items on this list of anyone here? Post it in the comments as well. These items are in no particular order of importance, just as I received them from the staff here at Fake Teams:
- Listen to a game called by Vin Scully
- Visit the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY
- Visit the Negro Leagues Museum in Kansas City, MO
- Sit in the bleachers at Wrigley Field
- Go to the Little League World Series
- Attend a low-level minor league game (High-A or below)
- Take a baseball-themed road trip.
- Attend a World Series-clinching game
- Witness a milestone or event game (no-hitter, 3000th hit, record breaker, etc)
- Attend the Cape Cod League All-Star game
- Watch a Game from the Monster seats at Fenway Park.
- Visit every Major League park
- Visit the Bobblehead Museum in Miami
- Try each park's signature concession (ie, Dodger Dog, etc)
- Attend the College World Series in Omaha, NE
- Kayak outside of AT&T Park and Chase Down a Homerun (San Francisco, CA)
- Attend Spring Training of Your Favorite Team
- Visit the Elysian Fields
- Attend Opening Day
- Own a Complete Set of Baseball Cards
- Play hookie from work to go to a Day game.
- Visit the site of Ebbets Field or the Polo Grounds in New York
- Attend the All-Star Game
- Attend the Futures Game
What do you have to add? If you agree with one that's been posted in the comments, be sure to "Rec" it so it will start to stand out as well.