March 2, 2012; Orlando, FL, USA; Atlanta Braves right fielder Jason Heyward (22) practices running the bases during a team workout during spring training at Champion Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Daniel Shirey-US PRESSWIRE
I participated in the Rotoprofessor NL-only mock draft over at Mock Draft Central on Sunday night, mainly in preparation for my NL-only league draft on March 29th. But, I was also curious to see where certain hitters and pitchers would be drafted and who would go #1. I wash't surprised with the #1 pick, but was surprised to see who fell to me with the 5th pick in this 10-team draft.
This draft was a 26 round, standard 5 x 5 league with 1 C, 1 1B, 1 2B, 1 SS, 1 3B, 1 MI, 1 CI, 1 U, 5 OF, 9 P, and 4 bench spots. I don't see the value in drafting a bench in a mock, but I guess a lot of leagues draft a bench.
The results of my draft along with some post-draft analysis after the jump:
I will post my team by position with the round next to the player's name:
C - Devin Mesoraco, CIN (R14)
1B - Michael Morse, WAS (R4)
2B - Jose Altuve, HOU (R15)
SS - Dee Gordon, LAD (R8)
3B - Ryan Zimmerman, WAS (R2)
CI - Pedro Alvarez, PIT (R13)
MI - Jed Lowrie, HOU (R19)
U - Gerardo Parra, ARI (R18)
OF - Ryan Braun (R1)
OF - Andre Ethier (R5)
OF - Jason Heyward (R7)
OF - Alfonso Soriano, CHC (R12)
OF - Ryan Ludwick, CIN (R17)
P - Stephen Strasburg, WAS (R3)
P - Dan Hudson, ARI (R6)
P - Jaime Garcia, STL (R9)
P - Jhoulys Chacin, COL (R10)
P - Jason Motte, STL (R11)
P - Ted Lilly, LAD (R16)
P - Mike Leake, CIN (R20)
P - Shelby Miller, STL (R21)
P - Rex Brothers, COL (R22)
BE - Clint Barmes, HOU (R23)
BE - Brett Jackson, CHC (R24)
BE - David Hernandez, ARI (R25)
BE - Tyler Skaggs, ARI (R26)
I was surprised with how my team turned out, to be honest. I think I drafted a nice mix of power, speed and starting pitchers. I wanted an ace and Strasburg was the best available in the 3rd round. Starters drafted before him were Roy Halladay and Clayton Kershaw in the 1st round, Tim Lincecum, Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels in the 2nd round, and I was targeting Zack Greinke in the 3rd, but he was chosen with the pick right before my Strasburg pick.
I was shocked Jason Heyward was still available in the 7th round here. This is the same guy who was drafted in the 2nd round in one of my NL-Only league drafts last season. I think he has a bounce back season in 2012, with around 20 HRs, 80 RBI, 15 SBs and a .280 BA.
Dodgers outfielder Andre Ethier is another hitter I expect to bounce back after an injury filled 2011 season. I don't see him hitting 30 HRs ever again, but can see a 24 HR, 90 RBI, .300 BA from him this season.
I was happy to see Ryan Braun fall to me with the 5th overall pick, and was a little surprised that he did. I think he should be the 2nd overall pick in NL-only leagues this season, ahead of Joey Votto and Troy Tulowitzki and behind Matt Kemp.
Enough about my team, here are a few other thoughts on the draft:
- Votto went first overall, and you really can't blame the team for taking the best first baseman in the NL with the first choice, as it gets ugly after him, Morse and a few others.
- The first round went: Votto, Tulo, Kemp, Cargo, Braun, Upton, Reyes, Hanley, Halladay and Kershaw.
- Craig Kimbrel was taken way too early with the last pick in the 3rd round, but I am pretty sure it was an auto pick, as was Buster Posey with the first pick in the 4th round.
- I thought about taking David Wright in the 3rd round instead of Strasburg, but had to grab Stras, as I didn't want to be stuck with Matt Cain or Madison Bumgarner as my ace. Then again, both are very good, and will not be on innings limits this season. Lesson learned.
- Round 6 was ugly as guys like Ryan Roberts, Ryan Howard and Josh Johnson were all picked in this round, ahead of guys I like a lot more-Jason Heyward, Jimmy Rollins, Drew Stubbs and Carlos Beltran.
- The Best pick of the draft was Ryan Madson in the 18th round. That is the problem with relying on the rankings on MDC.
- Carlos Marmol in round 5 was way too early for me and I have to think that may have been an auto pick as well. Another problem with mock drafts. People sign up but don't show up to draft. Suffice it to say that the same team picked John Mayberry in the 9th round. Enough said.