"Matt, Ray picked both of us in his mock last night, bro!" "Wtf is Ray?"
Last night, a bunch of Fake Teams writers got together for a 5 x 5 Mixed League Mock Draft over at Mock Draft Central. The Fake Teams writers who participated included:
Rob (aka smokeymcpots)
We had a few guys who couldn't make the draft for one reason or another, no big deal really, so the remaining 3 spots were filled by one of Rob's friends and two auto drafters.
My draft results follow after the jump:
I had the first pick in the mock draft, so it was no surprise that I took Matt Kemp with the first overall pick. Here are the rest of my picks:
R1 - Matt Kemp, LAD
R2 - Felix Hernandez, SEA
R3 - Andrew McCutchen, PIT
R4 - Ryan Zimmerman, WAS
R5 - Dan Uggla, ATL
R6 - Michael Morse, WAS
R7 - Shin-Soo Choo, CLE (damn autodraft pick)
R8 - Dan Hudson, ARI
R9 - Josh Beckett, BOS
R10 - Chris Young, ARI
R11 - Dee Gordon, LAD
R12 - Ervin Santana, LAA
R13 - Nick Markakis, BAL
R14 - Huston Street, SD
R15 - Brandon League, SEA
R16 - Gaby Sanchez, MIA
R17 - Geovany Soto, CHC
R18 - Justin Smoak, SEA
R19 - Jose Altuve, HOU
R20 - R.A. Dickey, NYM
R21 - Justin Masterson, CLE
R22 - Ramon Hernandez, COL
R23 - Colby Lewis, TEX
A few thoughts on the draft results:
- After the 6th or 7th round, the upper tier hitters were gone, as were all the ace starting pitchers.
- There were 16 starting pitchers taken in the first 5 rounds, with Stephen Strasburg coming off the board early in the 3rd round, ahead of Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee and Tim Lincecum. So roughly 25% of the first 60 picks were ace starting pitchers. Like I said, ace starters are the new power hitters.
- Apparently, Mike Stanton is not overrated as he was taken in the middle of the second round. I would have taken him had he fallen to 24.
- The uber-hyped Brett Lawrie was taken with the 8th pick in the third round. I like Lawrie and if he was available in the 4th round, I would have had a tough decision to make between he and Ryan Zimmerman.
- The soon to be suspended Ryan Braun was taken with the 36th overall pick in the draft, the last pick in the third round. I think that is about right for Braun, even missing 50 games. Nevertheless, it was made by an auto drafter, so I am not sure how far he would have fallen from here.
- Matt Wieters, who I love this year, was selected with the 9th pick in the 4th round, and he was the third overall catcher chosen, behind Mike Napoli and Carlos Santana. Oye como va.
- Elvis Andrus was the 11th pick in the 3rd round. As a Dodgers fan, I drafted Dee Gordon in the 11th round, and I think I got the same player as Andrus 8 rounds later.
- Desmond Jennings was taken with the 9th pick in the 5th round, ahead of Alex Gordon, Shane Victorino and teammate B.J. Upton.
- Eric Hosmer lasted till early in the 6th round, which is a little surprising to me as I think he will outperform guys like Jennings, Pablo Sandoval and Paul Konerko who were taken before him.
- Alex Rodriguez lasted until the 5th pick in the 7th round. Sounds about right for him.
- Yu Darvish lasted till late in the 8th round, with Craig stealing him from me!!
- Some nice value picks in the 9th round were Lance Berkman and Kevin Youkilis, with Andre Ethier and David Ortiz taken in the 11th.
- Former Yankee Jesus Montero lasted until the 11th round as well,.....bad miss my me.
- I am not sure I like being slotted with the first pick in a mixed league draft. I would prefer picking early in an NL-only league draft.
- I waited on closers and catchers, as you can see who I was stuck with later in the draft.
- I waited on starting pitching as well, but kinda like my staff. Don't love them, but they are decent.