Craig and I will be working our way through each of the 30 minor league systems in the coming months, looking at some of the top prospects in each of them. After we finish those, Fake Teams will be releasing our consensus position by position prospect rankings, including a fantasy-specific top 100 prospects list.
To start the discussion, I will be posting VERY RAW positional rankings. Note the emphasis on VERY RAW. I have begun to do my research for these upcoming projects, but it is very possible I could miss a prospect or have them ranked entirely too low or high. These are more aimed at general discussion amongst the community here, so if you've read or seen something that could be interesting to how a prospect is viewed, feel free to share it in the comments.
With that in mind, here is the criteria we will be using to determine whether a player is eligible for our prospect lists:
Hitters must have less than 130 AB in the Majors.
Pitchers must have thrown less than 50 IP in the Majors.
|14||Jackie Bradley Jr||BOS|
You can find notes on some of the prospects after the jump:
- Brett Jackson wasn't technically a graduate (only 120 ABs this year), but I have very little faith that he can find a way to cut down on the swing and miss enough to be productive.
- I didn't include Adam Eaton either (103 ABs this year), mostly because I would imagine he is already owned in leagues where he may be interesting. He would probably be between Springer and Buxton for me if I had ranked him.
- Liriano didn't really have a bad year per se, but there's something about it that concerns me, and I can't really put my finger on it at the moment. He could reach San Diego by the end of next season potentially though.
- I really like some of the top draftees from this season, including Dahl and Brinson. Both had solid debuts, and it seems like they are more advanced than was originally thought.
- The longer it takes for the tools to manifest, the less I seem to like Bubba Starling.
- I debated for a while between Myers and Taveras, and for me it finally came down to the fact that Taveras will likely start next season at AAA, where Myers has already destroyed nearly every pitcher in sight.