One game was a vicious battle between two defensive and very fired up teams. The other was an upset party in the rain for a team that hasn't had much to cheer for in recent years. The Ravens and Jets did not put many points on the scoreboard but it was a great game to watch. The Jets opening their new stadium had no reason to party after this one. The Ravens wanted to prove that the Jets could not back up all their talk. The Chargers and Chiefs were fighting for first place in their division and to start off on the positive side of the standings column. The Chiefs wanted to show off their rookies. The Chargers seemed to want to just get back to sunny San Diego.
Baltimore at New York Jets
- The Jets defense was on their game from the start. Sandwiching Flacco and forcing a fumble. For the night, they held the Ravens to 10 points, 49 rushing yards, had 2 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries and 1 INT. The Jets defensive backs ( specifically Antonio Cromartie and rookie Kyle Wilson) struggled to cover the Ravens receivers. It could be a rough week 2 for the Jets secondary against the Pats passing game.
- Willis McGahee had a terrible time gaining any yardage against the Jets. He had 6 carries for -2 yards and 1 rec. for -6 yards. He scored the Ravens lone TD but also lost a fumble. Going forward, it looks as though McGahee still has the goal line carries locked down.
- Joe Flacco looked as though he was really enjoying his new weapons. He finished the game: 20 of 38 for 248 yards, 1 INT and 1 fumble. He also had 4 carries for 2 yards. Flacco did a nice job exploiting the Jets secondary as the game went on.
- Anquan Boldin looked very comfortable with his new team. He made 7 rec. for 110 yards. Boldin looks like a force to reckoned with in Baltimore.
- Todd Heap made a great diving catch in the 4th quarter to take the Ravens into Jet territory. Heap had 6 rec. for 72 yards. It looked as though he was very sore after the catch and who could blame him. With Heap's injury history, hopefully this doesn't linger and affect his play.
Baltimore Ravens- WR Anquan Boldin- 7 rec. for 110 yards
New York Jets- RB Ladainian Tomlinson- 11 carries for 62 yards, 2 rec. for 16 yards
- Jamaal Charles is the real deal. He looked great tonight against the Chargers and absolutely embarrassed them on his 56 yard TD run. His final stat line: 11 carries for 92 yards, 8.4/carry, 1 TD, 1 rec. for 8 yards. He is a must start in Week 2 against the Browns.
- The Chiefs defense played pretty good against the San Diego attack. The rain probably helped them a little but they were tenacious. They held the Chargers to 2 TD's, had 2 sacks on Rivers and forced and recovered a fumble. Impressively, they stopped the Chargers on four downs within their 10-yard line to close out the game. Kansas City also received a boost from the return game, when Dexter McCluster returned a punt 94 yards for a TD. The Chiefs defense/special teams should garner a look for a start in Week 2 versus the Browns.
- TE Tony Moeaki caught a 2-yard TD in the 2nd quarter. I wish I had snagged him in my dynasty league. He looks like a great target for Cassel and could probably turn into the next great tight end. He ended up with 3 rec. for 21 yards and 1 TD.
- Coming back to McCluster. He was receiving alot of hype and I was not a believer. His punt return made me one. It remains to be seen his impact within the offense but his return abilities may just be the start. His game stats were: 1 carry for 0 yards, 2 rec. for 9 yards and 3 punt returns for 100 yards and a TD.
- Philip Rivers seemed to be very frustrated with his teammates and basically everything in this one. The weather cannot be discounted, as the ball must have been slippery. He was 22 of 39 for 298 yards and 2 TD. He also carried it 3 times for 5 yards. Rivers should have another good game at home against Jacksonville in Week 2.
- Legedu Naanee had the best game of the Chargers receivers. Half of his yardage came on his wide open 59-yard TD walk to the end zone in the 3rd quarter. He finished with 5 rec. for 110 yards and a TD. Naanee looks like he'll be an important part of the Chargers passing game but of course he's still the third option behind Gates and Floyd. Naanee could be a nice flex option in case of injury or bye weeks.
San Diego Chargers- QB Philip Rivers- 22 of 39 for 298 yards, 2 TD, 3 rushes for 5 yards
Kansas City Chiefs- RB Jamaal Charles- 11 rushes for 92 yards, 1 TD, 1 rec. for 8 yards
Who had the best Monday night fantasy performance?
Anquan Boldin- 7 rec.-110 yards (12 votes)
Ladainian Tomlinson- 13 touches-78 yards (1 vote)
Philip Rivers- 22 of 39-298 yards, 2 TD (8 votes)
Jamaal Charles- 12 touches-100 yards, 1 TD (26 votes)
47 total votes